The idea of personal knowledge management (PKM) is a key component in this course. It is a new term to me, and something I will admit I found a bit hard to get my head around.
I now understand that PKM is exactly what it says, the individual way in which you learn. What practices do you use? What resources do you use? Do you print all course materials off so you have a hard copy, do you have certain times of the day where you study, what is your process?
Reflection on this, I’ve realised, can help ensure that study time is effective. This course has introduced me to tools that I have never used before and how these tools can help to assist our PKM.
So what is my PKM process? How do I SEEK learning, SENSE my learning and SHARE my learning in this course specifically? I’ve been reflecting on it.
I have two children, so while I have days where I am free to study the entire day, there are also days where I can sneak in an hour or so of extra study time while they are playing or otherwise distracted!
Because of this I’ve found the diigo is my friend. I have never used it before, it simply lets me bookmark where I was up to, so I don’t waste time wondering where I was up to! Feedly is also amazing as it helps keep all the content together, which saves a lot of time.
I have written down a system for my learning, based on using these tools for this course, which I’m hoping I can transfer to other courses.
How I SEEK learning
1. Check Feedly – I do this at the start of each study session, I look specifically for news items or anything that may be of interest to me in the forums or blogs. I put a time limit of ten minutes on this otherwise I could sit there all day!
2. Go through the learning path – I use diigo to find where I was up to previously and I go straight there, no time wasting.
3. When I have half an hour left of study I will stop what I am doing and review student blog posts. I sometimes use feedly for this but most of the time I use my own blog feed as I follow those that are the most relevant to myself.
4. I multitask while I am seeking this learning – I use diigo to bookmark anything interesting and anything that I might like to blog about. For example I stumbled upon a blog post about a fellow student’s PKM routine and this inspired my own post. I also really love her visual and the different tools she has shown for each area of her learning process.
How I make SENSE of my learning
1. Taking notes as I go through the learning path – I do this in Word.
2. Writing my blogs on bits that have confused me or I need to understand more – writing helps me make sense of things.
3. Listening to Way Stations and hearing my fellow students talk.
4. Reading forum posts and answers from David, as well as the Facebook student group.
How I SHARE my learning
1. Through blogs
2. On the Facebook group
3. On the forum
4. Through completing assignments – well trying to complete assignments!
It doesn’t always work this smoothly, but I am a very organised person (I have to be with two kids) so I like to set myself limits.
I have signed up to Twitter for this course but I find I rarely get to check it. One other thing I do to help with my PKM….CLOSE FACEBOOK!